Sonntag, 25. Februar 2024

Tournament Report from Lübeck Game 1: Hundred Kingdoms vs. City States

Overview
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3


In Lübeck, a Conquest tournament took place on the last weekend of February, unfortunately coinciding with the Tactica event. Nonetheless, 14 players signed up for the tournament, including myself, Nino with the Old Dominion, and Uziel with the Nords. I took the Hundred Kingdoms to the battlefield, but my motivation had been somewhat dampened since the last update. The hope for new options from Para Bellum was not fulfilled, and there were only a multitude of nerfs.

Despite Nick's announcement that we would definitely be playing after the update, as everyone was already using the app, my preparations were difficult. In the two weeks before the tournament, I hastily completed 12 test games, all of which were disappointing. It was particularly dramatic against the new, powerful City States with their ultra-fast, scenario-denying Vanguard troops. Spire proved to be an even greater challenge, and the 190 point Siegebreaker left a new trauma. Even against the other factions, things didn't go much better, partly because I was mainly dealing with the Water Chapter Mage, Sealed Temple, and other concepts.

Before the final test game, Nino suggested that I should revert to proven strategies like Crossbows and Crimson Tower. If possible, I should also acquire another point-efficient unit. Perhaps that would lead to success. So, I followed his advice, and things went reasonably well, although not great. Therefore, my personal expectations were low, and I hoped at least not to get completely crushed and to avoid facing the worst matchups.

Unkreativ [2000/2000]

The Hundred Kingdoms
Relentless Drill

== (Warlord) Priory Commander (Crimson Tower) [110]:
 * Order of the Ashen Dawn (3) [240]:
 * Order of the Ashen Dawn (3) [240]:
 * Order of the Crimson Tower (3) [215]: Standard Bearer

 * Order of the Crimson Tower (3) [200]:

== (Warlord) Imperial Officer [90]: Brace for Impact, On Your Feet
 * Mercenary Crossbowmen (3) [105]:
 * Mercenary Crossbowmen (3) [105]:
 * Men at Arms (3) [110]: Standard Bearer 


== Noble Lord [90]: Weapon Master, Graceful Combatant
 * Mercenary Crossbowmen (3) [105]:
 * Household Knights (3) [140]: Standard Bearer
 * Household Knights (3) [140]: Standard Bearer
 * Mercenary Crossbowmen (3) [110]: Standard Bearer

Malte, acting as the draw master, randomly paired the first matches, and naturally, I found myself facing Stephan with the City States as my opponent. The others took great delight in this, as everyone seemed to relish every defeat for me.


Muuuuhve to Lübeck  [2000/2000]
The City States

== (Warlord) Aristarch [90]:
 * Selinoi (3) [130]:
 * Satyroi (3) [200]:
 * Phalangites (5) [235]: Dorilates

== Polemarch [125]: Inscription of Lighter Alloys
 * Agema (3) [195]: Xypharchos
 * Minotaur Thyreans (3) [190]:

== Ipparchos [100]:
 * Companion Cavalry (3) [160]:
 * Companion Cavalry (3) [160]:

== Mechanist [80]:
 * Thorakites (3) [135]: Lochagos
 * Inquisitors (3) [200]:

The list didn't match what I had seen in the past weeks and didn't include a Hoplite block with a Titan or any Vanguard troops. That reassured me somewhat, but Stephan seemingly participates in every tournament and managed to go 2-1 in Lübeck with it. So, there had to be a plan behind it somewhere. At least we were playing Melee, so I could also be early in zones.




Round 1 began, and apart from a central forest, I didn't pay much attention to the terrain. I rolled a regiment of Crossbows along with the automatic regiment with the standard and was pleased, as I didn't even have to decide who would get Vanguard. That was really great...

The two regiments advanced side by side, while opposite them were the Thorakties and the Selinoi. It was rather relaxed, and by round two, I only had my Man at Arms with an officer and one Household Knights, while Stephan had Inquisitors and Agema with Polemarch. Thanks to the Strategy Deck, there wasn't much opportunity for activation shenanigans, and I decided early to push my relevant stuff into the zones, assuming Stephan didn't know I could potentially control both big zones. So, I pushed the knights to the right and the Man at Arms to the left into the zones, while Stephan allowed the Agema to march on the left. However, without Vanguard, they didn't worry me much. On the other side, the Selinoi tried to shoot down the knights but failed and received four damage from the Crossbows in return. In the end, his Thorakites became Heavy and secured a zone, but I was comfortably leading with 8:2.

Round 3 became interesting. I got Ashen Dawn twice, Household Knights once, and two Crossbows, while Stephan didn't want his Satyroi to appear. Instead, he received the Cows, both cavalry regiments, and the Phalangites. I wasn't thrilled about that, but the Man at Arms naturally went all the way down in case Stephan wanted to try Mobility things with the Agema. I didn't need Crossbows so far up; he would come to me, especially as one regiment of Crossbows presented itself to the Thorakites.

So, we both started marching. Essentially, everything appeared on the right flank, with only Stephan letting the Ipparchos appear with a regiment of cavalry on the left. My Household Knights marched into the small zone, and the Crossbows behind the forest went into that zone and shot at the Selinoi. They finally did that, and the Thorakites came to me. They promptly wiped them out. Shortly after, Ashen Dawn stood in front of them. The obvious thought is that I simply have more regiments, and every scoring regiment I take from him is one too many for four zones.

On the other flank, the Polemarch was positioned quite high and had to make a decision. Unyielding was clear, but Mobility, yes or no. He wanted Mobility so that I would be punished if I moved forward into the zone to prevent him from getting into it. However, the Agema were positioned higher up than the Man at Arms. So when Stephan decided to go into the zone with D1, the Man at Arms could strike him down and still deny the zone. So far, things were going well. 15:6.

Round four arrives, and the remainder of our forces come onto the field. This is good for me, and the Man at Arms move all the way up. They'll probably die now, but maybe they'll take the Agema with them, and if Stephan starts there, the Ashen Dawn will take care of the Thorakites. I start, as I did throughout the game, and manage to kill another Agema stand. The other one remains with two health. It's a shame, but fair. Then the riders come into my side, and D3 holds. At least until the Polemarch ends it shortly after, and my first Warlord leaves the battlefield for 6 points. Within 15 inches, the first Crimson Tower advance to be ready for the next round.

On the other flank, his Thorakites die, and the light shooting rains down on him. It's not quite as bad for him, and the crucial thing was that the Satyroi then appeared on the right flank. As my last card, I had a few Crimson who had been waiting only for their comrades and positioned themselves behind them. Trading is okay. Final score: 24:19.

In the next round, I started, and the Crimson Tower slew the Satyroi. If I had started second, I would have taken the horses. So, his cavalry turned and attacked my Crimson Tower, a fight they wouldn't win in the long run.

On the right flank, my cavalry advanced, while the Crossbows on the left targeted the Agema. He made two Move-Charges into the Ashen Dawn. Cows and Inquisitors against three Ashen Dawn. Maybe I wouldn't win, but if I ignite the Supremacy next round, I can hold it. More importantly, this cleared the path to his small zone for the other Ashen Dawn, and I made a Move-Charge into the Phalangites. It didn't do much, but they couldn't move away, and with D4 Blessed, they wouldn't kill me. Before that, I had made sure three times that the Aristarch hadn't accidentally packed the Cleave 4 sword. Better safe than sorry. 39:19.


In Round 6, Commander Harden distributed attacks and Blessed. Then, I got to start and drive the final nails into the coffin. The Ashen Dawn slew the Cows, losing two stands to the Inquisitors in the process. Not quite as expected, but now Stephan's stands were dropping like flies. The Selinoi were caught by the Household Knights, while the Crimson on the left slaughtered the riders and advanced. The Phalangites also lost many stands. When the Household Knights then crashed into their flank in the following round, the City States were wiped out. The whole City States? No, one Inquisitor went berserk with absurd rolls in my army and slaughtered through knights until I finally killed him in round 8. Nevertheless, I consistently scored in all four zones and started with a win and many points in round 2. Uziel and Nino had also racked up decent points. Although everyone wanted me to lose, no one wanted to execute it themselves. When Dennis with the Vanguard City States list then scored a similar number of points and became my next opponent, everyone was relieved - except Dennis, despite the favorable matchup.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen