Sonntag, 3. Dezember 2023

Guestpost Event report from Nino: - 1st conquest of the barn, Bedburg / Game 3 Old Dominion vs Spire (english)

Overview
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3


Game 3 Head to head vs Spire Directorat

== Biomancer [215]: Degenerative Aura, Fleshcarver, Mastery of Flesh 1, Mastery of Flesh 2, Mastery of Flesh 3
* Force-Grown Drones 8 [240]:
* Incarnate Sentinels 4 [280]:

== Warlord High Clone Executor [150]: Biotic Hive, Infiltrator Variant, Ablative Flesh, Disperse,Additional Neural Receptors
* Bound Clones 6 [265]: Ward Preceptor
* Force-Grown Drones 3 [90]:
* Vanguard Clone Infiltrators 3 [170]:
* Marksman Clones 4 [200]:

== Pheromancer [100]: Avatar Projection
* Force-Grown Drones 3 [90]:
* Brute Drones 4 [200]:

So last round! Head to head is actually pretty good for OD. Only a small zone to defend and a large one that needs to be won via the Attrition. You can't completely disregard them for three points though. Here my list is a bit behind due to their many MSU selections, though I rarely give away the characters and Warlord as the corresponding Legionnaire blocks can hold back a bit.

Opposite place a bunch of Spire, similar to my 100K from game also with a list slightly off the usual concept. I've played against Nauth's FGD block before (was it in Waldkirch?) and know that he is likely to have problems with movement and engagement due to his size (like me IRL…). The advantage is that he doesn't score (again, like irl! :O). If he spreads out in the scenario, there's little room for both sides and nothing scores - so it's not so bad. I don't like Styx very much, but I have (probably excessive) respect for the VCI and Marksmen.

At the end of turn two, the small block FGD stands as a brake block in front of the small zone on the left, while the big block (as expected) starts to move towards the center. Behind him on the left, the Marksmen cavort centrally and in front of him on the right, VGI hold their High Clone in the zone. Unpleasantly far in front. I decide to go for an Initiave Gamble here. And push a regiment of Flitzer Legionnaires into the flank. If I start, they can charge into the flank of the VCI and probably solve the problem directly. Even if not, it will probably force the VCI to rethink and they won't shoot at anything important. I answer the big block FGD and the Marksmen with my Praetorians. They don't want the fight, but are best able to sit out the ranged game. Next to them, the Archmandrite and his squad are behind a grove, ready to heal.

Round three begins and I enter into a Faustian pact with my dice: "If you roll the initiative for me, you can roll whatever you want for the rest of the game. I won't be angry with you.". I win the initiative with a one 8) The legionnaires charge the VCIs in the flank, I need a two: one. Reroll: One. ... well. I can't be angry, I promised it myself. We laugh heartily once, the VCI activates, turns, shoots three Legionnaires and secures points. Otherwise only deployment follows. The Brute Drones and Phero come from the far left and are probably after my small zone. They are joined by the Bound Clones. Behind the Marksmen, the Sentinels enter and make themselves small to sneak past the thick block of FGD. Another regiment of FGD secure the other flank.

I push the Praetorians forward (the Archi heals away the Marksmen's damage). If the FGD want to charge, they have to get out of the zone. If they don't charge, I can probably reduce to two ranks and engage the Marksmen. The big FGD can't reach my flank very well and the Sentinels would be stuck. I'll oppose the VCI with the next unit of Legionnaires, plus another Kataphraktoi. One of them will get the charge. The second unit of Kataphraktoi follows the Praetorians together with a few Bonegolems. I'll go for a tasty flank charge with the horses as soon as they get stuck. Let's see. On the far left, Strategos and his squad secure my little zone. It'll be a while before any real threat arrives.

From here on, unfortunately, my pictures leave me and my memory becomes fuzzy. I can start the turn and my legionnaires manage to charge the VCI, but do no damage. Instead, the regiment breaks and loses two stands at the Disengage. These are quickly screened by the small FGD on the right, but Kataphraktoi solve the problem. The Sentinels jump in front of the Marksmen as Nauth smells my engagement plan. I just run the Praetorians into the Sentinels anyway. After all, the LOS will be difficult for the Marksmen from now on unless they want to use Arcing Fire. The large block of FGD is quite tightly surrounded on both sides and cannot perform a turn due to its three rows, which a successful charge would always produce, and so the bunch stands around somewhat indecisively in the area. On the left, the FGD and Brutes approach, while the Bound Clones are on scenario duty. I have a pretty good reinforcement line and let the second regiment of Bonegolems loose on the Bound Clones at breakneck speed via the left flank.

The battle between Sentinels and Praetorians continues for another three or four turns, as neither can really do much damage to the other and both sides are repeatedly healed. However, things look slightly better for the Praetorians. That's why the Bound Clones support with a burnout-supported flanking attack. It doesn't do any sheep for me, but of course a Drone promptly dies as a result of its hothead. The Pheromancer suddenly finds himself in contact with the Xhilliarch. One duel later, he can't see a thing. Instead, the middle Kataphraktoi now have a target and wipe out the Brute Drones with a cheeky charge-clash. The other Kataphraktoi don't want to lag behind and impact the last VCI away before they ride further ahead and place themselves in the back of the big FGD block. I actually wanted to run around there next turn and try a charge on the Marksmen flank. The Bonegolems take pity on the unemployed FGD and start an engagement. Mainly so that the block doesn't get any nasty ideas. Sentinels virtually gone, Brute Drones gone, VCI gone and planned for the rest, while I'm only missing two regiments of Legionnaires. Looks good.

I think the fate of the Spire is finally sealed around turn seven. The Bonegolems make the charge clash against the Bound Clones after preparation and break them directly. The Left FGD think they have found a good gap, but the Kataphraktoi find a way to make devastating contact with Reform/Charge. The Praetorians finally emerge victorious from the Sentinel melee with two stands left. With the right Kataphraktoi, the Charge move on the Marksmen is too risky for me (18"), instead they make a Charge clash into the back of the big Drones block due to a lack of options. I'm not hoping for much, but the targets will be Mau and with D4 they can still best withstand lethal demise. Eight hits in impact make 16 wounds after morale. I equip 5/8 lethal demise hits. Out of 16 clash attacks, 13 hit and wound. 26 wounds after morale. The FGD block vanishes into thin air and we both look a bit puzzled. Nobody had expected that. Of the 13 wounds, I upgrade about seven more, so that a Kataphraktoi survives happily. The BoneGolems on the left wipe out the Bound Clones and take the small zone, the other BoneGolems move into the big one and I score happily.

All in all, this also went more smoothly than expected. The Praetorians contributed significantly by simply withstanding an absurd amount of punishment. The Kataphraktoi were able to clear various regiments and after the 42DMG charge/clash I simply have to crown the regiment MVP.

The 10 block FGD looks super threatening at the beginning, but it has an absurd movement problem with the huge footprint if the opponent is paying attention. I just can't see him. Otherwise, I was able to avoid ranged combat very successfully and play my game well.

Conclusion
As one of two unbeaten players, I'm in second place behind Hanna. And deservedly so, as she really had to put up with Conrad and Nick a bit more than I did. In the end, I was able to handle the unconventional lists of 100k and Spire very well and Grind them down against Dweghom was a very favorable matchup for me. I had three very relaxed and cool games and would like to thank my fellow players again. Nobody was grim or frustrated at the table (and I don't think they left the table afterwards either). Thanks also to the organizers for a super well-rounded event with excellent catering and smooth running.

As a little surprise, I also won the Best Painted prize at the end and even got to go home with two of the sexy dinosaur trophies and a sponsor mascot 😊





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen